US casino owner bids £2.9bn for William Hill
- Credit: Archant
High street bookies William Hill looks set to be bought up by the owners of Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
US casino giant Caesars has tabled a £2.9bn bid to buy the UK betting chain, which is a familiar name across high streets including in Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, Leiston, Harwich and Thetford.
Last week, William Hill said it had received takeover approaches from Caesars and private equity giant Apollo.
Caesars - which is in advanced talks with William Hill – said the betting chain’s board of directors has indicated the offer is at a level that “they would be minded to recommend to shareholders”.
MORE – Shipping firm sees orders soar as Amazon orders go through the roofShares in William Hill surged after Caesars said the offer would be 272p for each William Hill share.
Caesars said it has completed due diligence and would expect any deal to be completed in the second half of 2021.
Caesars already owns a 20% stake in William Hill’s US operations, which also have exclusive rights to operate sports betting under the Caesars brand.
Caesars chief executive Tom Reeg said: “The opportunity to combine our land-based casinos, sports betting and online gaming in the US is a truly exciting prospect.
- 1 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 3 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 6 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 7 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 8 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 9 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams
“William Hill’s sports betting expertise will complement Caesars’ current offering, enabling the combined group to better serve our customers in the fast growing US sports betting and online market.
“We look forward to working with William Hill to support future growth in the US by providing our customers with a superior and comprehensive experience across all areas of gaming, sports betting, and entertainment.”