High five! Ipswich beauty salon’s haul at UK awards
- Credit: Archant
A former professional dancer and college lecturer who changed careers to open a beauty salon in Ipswich is celebrating a five-star win - with a clutch of prizes at a national awards ceremony.
Anita Lord was an entertainer who danced around the world, performing in shows with the rich and famous, before going on to work as a college lecturer.
But in 2016 the mum-of-four decided to change direction by launching Escape Beauty Rooms in Crown and Anchor Mews, Ipswich.
"I was looking for a new challenge and to do something for myself," she said.
"I had worked at Suffolk New College as a lecturer, in beauty, anatomy and physiology for eight to nine years.
You may also want to watch:
"I had been a dancer before and when the last of my boys started school I wanted to do something different."
Her Escape Beauty Rooms have now won five prizes at the British Hair and Beauty Awards.
- 1 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 2 First look at plans for new Ipswich BMX track ahead of big build
- 3 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
- 4 Plans for new Waterfront restaurant and bar receive over 50 objections
- 5 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 6 Shoplifter who stole conditioner and washing up goods caught on CCTV
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 10 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
She won two bronze certificates for Top Rated Salon of the Year and Excellence in Customer Service, as well as three golds for Best New Business 2019. Lash Specialist of the Year and Beauty Salon of the Year.
"It was absolutely amazing to get five awards," she said. "I am really pleased."
She credited her awards to her loyal customers with their reviews and feedback.
"My clients are the heart of the business and I owe so much to them, who spread the word and only have kind words to say about their experiences here," she said.
The ethos of the salon is that clients can escape their busy lives for a few minutes to have a treatment, at an affordable cost.
The salon started by offering treatments, from gel nails and pedicures, to massage and facials, micro blading and semi-permanent make-up.
Now it is established, she is developing a training school as well.
"One of the attractions of this building was the space," she said.
"We have a range of treatment rooms on two floors, and a classroom area and a room for hen parties and other groups."