Fast food franchise grows with 99th sandwich shop
- Credit: Archant
Fast food giant Subway has opened in Ipswich’s busy Sailmakers Shopping Centre
The new branch of the world’s biggest restaurant business will create ten new jobs in a unit on the ground floor of the centre.
It is part of a major Subway franchise, Ness Ventures, based in Colchester and is the 99th branch of the sandwich outlet that they have opened – number 1,000 is on the way.
Adrian Johnson, a partner in the operation, said: “We cover Essex, Norfolk and Suffolk and we’re still growing and we bake all our bread in store fresh every day.
“We chose Sailmakers because it’s a really good development opportunity in a shopping centre in a prime location with good footfall and close to the high street and the bus station.
“We have opened this week but we are also planning a grand opening launch in the next four weeks when we will be doing some special offers for our customers.”
Subway is the latest major new arrival at the Centre in the last eight months following on from bb’s coffee and muffins, Pandora, River Island, Poundland and Iceland.
- 1 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 2 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 3 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 4 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 5 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 6 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 7 Emergency roadworks on busy Ipswich street to fix leaking water main
- 8 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 9 6 ice rinks to visit in Norfolk and Suffolk this Christmas
- 10 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
It also comes in the wake of major refits for fashion houses QUIZ and Topshop.
Sailmakers Centre Manager Mike Sorhaindo said: “We’re delighted to welcome Subway here. They’re a popular and high quality brand which will add to the food offer here at the Centre.
“This and the other new arrivals are a vindication of the £4 million investment made in the shopping centre which is already reaping rewards in new jobs and increased economic activity in the town.
“Subway will bring a new dynamic to the Centre and they will fit in perfectly with the atmosphere of Sailmakers and is sure to be a big hit with our