Felixstowe: Shop closures on agenda for traders’ summit
COMMUNITY leaders are to meet traders to discuss their worries over the future of the town centre.
In the past few months at least ten shops have closed, and parts of Hamilton Road, Felixstowe, are looking their bleakest for more than 30 years.
In one section, there are three empty stores together – the former premises of the huge Candler furnishing store, an opticians and kitchen designers – presenting a forlorn sight to shoppers.
Traders have blamed the impact of recession, a sudden and large rise in business rates, and the changes with the creation of the shared space.
Now Felixstowe Town Council has agreed to meet shopkeepers to discuss their concerns and look for positive ways forward.
You may also want to watch:
The meeting – to be chaired by Tony Coe, chairman of the Felixstowe Futures group, and attended by town, district and county councillors – will be held in the council chamber at Felixstowe Town Hall from 6pm to 7pm on Monday, May 28.
Councillor Kimberley Williams, who asked councillors to consider a meeting after hearing representations from a number of businesses, said: “I think it is important that we listen to what the traders have to say – we might be able to do something about their concerns, and at the very least can take their feedback to the district and county council to be considered when policy and decisions are made.”
- 1 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 2 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 3 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 4 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 5 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 Inside Ipswich's Blitz-themed tearoom
- 9 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 10 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
? Seating is limited for the event – traders are asked to contact Lorna Monsen at Felixstowe Town Council on 01394 282086 to reserve tickets.