Felixstowe: You are never too young to launch your own business.
- Credit: Archant
Pals aiming to shake it up at the seafront
Felixstowe friends Fred Benfield and Seb Dodd are doing just that - with The Shake Hut on the south Felixstowe seafront.
Former Deben High School pupils Fred and Seb, who are 21 years old both also have day jobs, in Felixstowe and Ipswich.
But you will find them evenings and at weekends at their new venture, The Shake Hut, on the edge of the Forum Food Court in Sea Road.
Friends are helping them keep the Shake Hut open other days during the summer season to serve the tourist trade with a range of individual milke shakes.
You may also want to watch:
Fred said: “We have always wanted to open our own business. We thought there was an opportunity, a niche, for a milk shake bar in Felixstowe.
“There is something similar in Ipswich - but not in Felixstowe.
- 1 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 2 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 5 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
- 6 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 7 Do you remember having a pint at Ipswich's Sporting Farmer pub?
- 8 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 9 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
“It is something different here from icecreams and fish and chips. It is something different for Felixstowe.
“We are getting quite a following on Facebook.”
Special concoctions include The American Dream (Oreo biscuits, peanut butter, banana and whipped cream), The Seasider (Ferrero Rocher, Kinder Bueno, whipped cream and flake), Lemon Pie (lemon curd, whipped cream and meringue), and The Volcano (Malteesers, whipped cream and popping candy). Purely in in the interests of research I tried a Seasider - it was delicous.
Fred added: “We both dropped out of A-levels and went to work instead. Now we still have full-time jobs but we are always looking for good ideas to do our own thing. We have already done up a house together and bought a beach hut.
“This is seven days a week, during the summer and we can stay open later when the weather is good and the seafront is busy.
Seb Dodd said: “There are more than 70 different flavours and toppings to choose from, with so many combinations. We have enjoyed the research. You can choose any chocolate bar you like. The combinations are endless. It is naughty but nice.
“We have already got some regular customers.”
The buiness partners said they were always looking for business opportunities, and had considered opening a cafe.
The Shake Hut though seemed the ideal opportunity.
“It is nice to sit outside something which is your own, really,” added Seb.