Victorian Water Mill just outside Ipswich up for auction
- Credit: Archant
A Victorian water mill just outside Ipswich with a “plethora of opportunities for redevelopment” has come up for auction.
Bucklesham Water Mill, in Newbourn Road, is being sold via a live-streamed auction on Wednesday, September 30 and is expected to fetch around £125,000 to £150,000.
According to the website Mills Archive, the mill was built in 1829.
It was largely run by the Daniel family throughout the 19th century, with the last miller being recorded as Henry Daniel in 1896.
Around 1977, the mill house was demolished and the mill building was converted into an office.
You may also want to watch:
According to Luke Golding - of Goldings Auctions, which is selling the property - there are a range of possibilities for the property, subject to gaining planning permissions.
He said: “We’re getting people looking at it for holiday lets – sort of upmarket Airbnbs.
- 1 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 2 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 3 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
- 4 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 5 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED! Peterborough Panthers v Ipswich Witches
- 6 Shoplifter who stole conditioner and washing up goods caught on CCTV
- 7 Boxing coach punches man in Ipswich pub attack
- 8 Waterfront bar and restaurant bid rejected following 53 objections
- 9 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 10 Major delays on A14 near Ipswich as broken down crane blocks carriageway
“We’ve got a pushbike society that are looking to turn it into a bike cafe, with a little cafe downstairs and residential upstairs.”
But the three-storey property is on the floodplain meaning that the ground floor could not be developed into a residential space.
Mr Golding said the mill owner could even own part of the river flowing past the building – but he is working to clarify whether this is the case.
“We believe you own the water where the former mill turbine used to sit in the river,” he said. “So actually, in your title, you own a bit of the river bed.
“It’s a bit unusual, you don’t sell many properties with a bit of river.
“It’s very quirky and in a hugely sought-after area.”
For further information, contact Tim or Luke Golding on 01473 210200.