Greggs opens SEVENTH Ipswich area store
- Credit: Archant
Yet another Greggs bakery has opened in Ipswich today – making it the seventh in the wider area.
Greggs said the new shop in White House Road, in the north west of town, will offer customers a “contemporary food-on-the-go experience” as well as seating for those who would like to eat inside the shop.
The shop’s opening is said to have created 16 new jobs.
However, it comes amid growing unease about the proliferation of Greggs shops in the town.
Earlier this year, plans were submitted by The Royal London Mutaul Insurance Society for a new “pod unit” in the Futura Park car park, which would have been occupied buy Greggs.
Including its Martlesham store, the pod unit would have been the seventh Greggs in the wider Ipswich area.
At the time, local bakeries have expressed concerns over whether that many stores by one national chain is healthy for competition, and said more should be done to support independent firms.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 3 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 4 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 5 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 6 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 7 'Fresh and timeless' Greek cuisine comes to Ipswich
- 8 Suffolk man collapsed at friend's home
- 9 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 10 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
Ipswich Borough Council rejected the Futura Park plans, saying the benefit of new jobs “would not outweigh the harm identified from the imposing and incongruous structure which would result in the erosion of a well planned and landscaped employment park.”
A Greggs spokesman said: “We’re delighted to be opening a seventh shop in Ipswich at Ipswich Quantum Business Park.
“We’ve invested in a new shop at this site due to customer demand; those who work at Quantum Business Park can enjoy a wide range of sandwiches and salads that are freshly prepared throughout the day, as well as breakfast, bakes and a selection of hot and cold drinks.
“We’ve also created 16 new jobs for local people, in a boost to the local area.”