Greggs opens SEVENTH Ipswich area store
- Credit: Archant
Yet another Greggs bakery has opened in Ipswich today – making it the seventh in the wider area.
Greggs said the new shop in White House Road, in the north west of town, will offer customers a “contemporary food-on-the-go experience” as well as seating for those who would like to eat inside the shop.
The shop’s opening is said to have created 16 new jobs.
However, it comes amid growing unease about the proliferation of Greggs shops in the town.
Earlier this year, plans were submitted by The Royal London Mutaul Insurance Society for a new “pod unit” in the Futura Park car park, which would have been occupied buy Greggs.
You may also want to watch:
Including its Martlesham store, the pod unit would have been the seventh Greggs in the wider Ipswich area.
At the time, local bakeries have expressed concerns over whether that many stores by one national chain is healthy for competition, and said more should be done to support independent firms.
- 1 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 2 Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer joins Ipswich bingo night
- 3 'I love it' –shoppers and retailers hope Ipswich street closure is here to stay
- 4 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 5 Delays expected at A14 Copdock Interchange
- 6 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 7 Why you should be heading to Beach Street this Saturday
- 8 Rogue trader steals money after offering to repair car
- 9 Mum's pride as former Ipswich schoolboy named in Tokyo 2020 Olympics squad
- 10 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
Ipswich Borough Council rejected the Futura Park plans, saying the benefit of new jobs “would not outweigh the harm identified from the imposing and incongruous structure which would result in the erosion of a well planned and landscaped employment park.”
A Greggs spokesman said: “We’re delighted to be opening a seventh shop in Ipswich at Ipswich Quantum Business Park.
“We’ve invested in a new shop at this site due to customer demand; those who work at Quantum Business Park can enjoy a wide range of sandwiches and salads that are freshly prepared throughout the day, as well as breakfast, bakes and a selection of hot and cold drinks.
“We’ve also created 16 new jobs for local people, in a boost to the local area.”