Halfords to recruit hundreds of MOT testers
- Credit: PA
Halfords is recruiting hundreds of MOT testers and vehicle technicians after a surge in demand.
The car parts retailer – which has Autocentres in towns including Ipswich, Norwich, King’s Lynn, Bury St Edmunds, Colchester and Braintree – says it is creating more than 250 jobs after seeing MOT bookings almost double in recent months.
MOT testing was paused during the pandemic which led to a huge backlog, it explained.
Now members of the public were seeking alternatives to public transport, leading to a surge in the used car market.
Andy Randall, managing director of Halfords Autocentres, said: “MOT testing was paused during the pandemic and as a result we’ve seen bookings almost double during autumn and winter, with motorists joining millions of others who have held off from getting their car tested, so we need more MOT testers now.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re seeing no slowdown in the demand for motoring services as the public continue to avoid public transport, so a recruitment drive for MOT testers and this fast-track initiative is essential to keep Britain moving.”
- 1 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 2 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 3 Inside Ipswich's Blitz-themed tearoom
- 4 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 5 Kesgrave care home manager denies hosting party in breach of Covid rules
- 6 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm
- 7 School with 'sky high' ambitions aims to be 'best in Ipswich'
- 8 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 9 GP surgery with more than 3,000 patients announces closure
- 10 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune