Firm’s solar roof reflects its ‘zero carbon’ ambitions
- Credit: Archant
A renewable energy provider for businesses is practising what it preaches after adopting a range of carbon-saving measures at its Ipswich headquarters.
Haven Power, which employs 450 staff at Ransomes Europark, has installed nearly 500sq me of solar panels on the rooftop of its Ipswich offices, which can produce enough renewable power in a year to charge an electric vehicle 2300 times.
The firm said it wanted to ‘lead by example’ when it comes to sustainability, enabling a zero carbon, lower cost energy future for its business customers.
MORE – Energy firm sees more scope for growth in B2B marketIt has also replaced its lighting with more efficient LEDs, and in the coming months plans to install a battery to store excess power produced by the solar panels.
Since the firm installed the LED lighting earlier this year, it has seen a reduction of around 15% in its daily electricity consumption, which is expected to fall even further when it generates its own electricity from the newly installed solar panels.
It has also installed EV charging points for staff and visitors to use. Haven Power staff can also use a BMWi3 EV pool car when travelling between its two Ipswich offices.
You may also want to watch:
Chief operating officer Paul Sheffield said: “By turning our office into a truly energy efficient building, we’re not only reducing our CO2 emissions by over 47,000 kilograms a year, the equivalent of taking 33 cars off the road, we’re also demonstrating to other businesses how these initiatives can work.
“We offer these services to our business customers, so they can save money and take more control of their energy – whilst reducing their carbon footprint. With onsite storage, they can not only be less reliant on the grid, we can even create additional revenue or them by selling excess energy back to the grid.”
- 1 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 2 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 3 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 4 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 5 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 9 Inside Ipswich's Blitz-themed tearoom
- 10 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
Haven Power offers renewable energy as standard and works with them to make informed decisions on reducing their impact on the environment by better use of energy.
Its parent company, energy giant Drax Group, is working towards a ‘zero carbon, lower cost energy future’. Its 2,600-strong staff operate across three principal areas of activity – electricity generation, electricity sales to business customers and compressed wood pellet production.
Haven Power is one of the largest business electricity suppliers in the UK.