Town banks set to close as HSBC moves more services online
- Credit: Google Maps
HSBC is set to close branches in Suffolk and Essex this year as part of a nationwide cull.
Its Hamilton Road, Felixstowe branch and another in Colchester are among the casualties as it revealed plans to close 82 high street bank branches this year.
But the bank said it aims to redeploy the vast majority of staff to nearby branches and does not expect any redundancies from the move, as more customers turn to online services.
Jackie Uhi, HSBC UK's head of network, said: "The Covid-19 pandemic has emphasised the need for the changes that we are making.
"It hasn't pushed us in a different direction but reinforces the things that we were focusing on before and has crystallised our thinking.
You may also want to watch:
"This is a strategic direction that we need to take to have a branch network fit for the future."
The Felixstowe branch is earmarked for closure on July 23 this year, while the North Station Road, Colchester, branch is due to shut on June 4.
- 1 'Arrogant' man bullied woman into sending intimate photos
- 2 New businesses set for former Ipswich sugar beet site
- 3 Police 'extremely concerned' for missing Ipswich woman Sarah Field
- 4 County lines drug dealer is jailed for eight years
- 5 Ipswich man denies rape of a child and will face trial
- 6 Police urge public to stick to the rules this weekend before first changes next week
- 7 Man dies following collision on A12
- 8 Filming for new TV detective thriller to take place in Suffolk
- 9 Full list: Wetherspoon beer gardens open in Suffolk on April 12
- 10 Clearing pigeon mess vital to Ipswich Waterfront rebirth
Colchester MP Will Quince said of the Colchester branch closure plans: "It is deeply regrettable when any local bank branch closes and my thoughts are with the staff affected. Many people are now banking online or over the telephone and we do have a larger HSBC branch on Colchester High Street which is less than a mile away from the branch set to close."