Important advice for injured cyclists

PUBLISHED: 16:51 18 June 2015

Richard Foyster of Ashton KCJ

Richard Foyster of Ashton KCJ


Legally Speaking with Ashton KCJ

Cycling has become a very popular pastime in our region in recent years.

With a Tour of Britain stage passing through the region on 12 September and the Women’s Tour of Britain starting in Bury St Edmunds on 17 June, the number of people getting out on their bikes locally is likely to continue to rise.

Unfortunately, according to The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA), around 19,000 cyclists are killed or injured in reported road accidents each year in the UK and more of these accidents occur between May and September than in the winter months.

Perhaps surprisingly 80% occur in daylight.

Less surprisingly, a high proportion occur near road junctions.

While the hope is that Star readers will all stay safe this summer, if you are involved in a cycling incident which leaves you needing medical help, you may be entitled to compensation.

This applies equally whether you are injured by another road user or whether the state of the road is to blame. What you can claim for will depend on the injury and its future implications on your life, but your claim might include compensation for:

The injury itself – depending on which part of your body or mind is affected and whether it is a long-term or short-term problem.

Loss of earnings, including overtime – while you are recovering or if you have to change your job or can no longer work as a result of your injury.

Replacement of damaged possessions – including your bike.

The cost of paying someone else to do things that you normally do yourself while you are recovering – such as housework and gardening.

The loss of enjoyment suffered as a result of not being able to do the things you enjoy in life, such as going out on your bike.

It is important to seek specialist advice as soon as possible after the incident so that the facts are fresh in your mind. This is also important to ensure you get appropriate medical assistance and interim payments to help with rehabilitation, care and daily living expenses while your claim is ongoing.

It is also important to remember that you don’t have to use your insurers’ solicitors if you would prefer to use a local firm.

Richard Foyster

Head of Personal Injury

T: 01473 261371


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Search hundreds of local jobs at Jobs24

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star