Injured in an accident – then opt for local advice!
- Credit: Archant
Legally Speaking with Ashtons Legal
Many people are injured in accidents that aren’t their fault.
All circumstances and injuries are slightly different and so compensation claims need to be assessed individually to ensure everyone gets the help they deserve.
Richard Foyster, a personal injury specialist at local firm Ashtons Legal, gives five reasons why he believes that ‘going local’ is generally an injured person’s best option.
1 A lawyer who sees you face-to-face is likely to gain a better understanding of the real impact of your injuries on your and your family’s lives than someone who is many miles away.
You may also want to watch:
This is particularly true in the case of serious injuries. It will help to ensure that you obtain all the compensation, and rehabilitation or treatment, to which you are entitled.
2 Local lawyers are likely to have links with physiotherapists and rehabilitation providers in your area and may also know local police and doctors so can obtain more quickly a full understanding of your accident and injuries.
- 1 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 2 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 3 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 4 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 5 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 6 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 7 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 8 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
- 9 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
They may be familiar with the roads on which your accident occurred and perhaps even have handled claims for other people injured in the same place.
All these small factors may enable them to get you the help you need more rapidly.
3 Local solicitors will work hard to do a good job for you because they value their reputation and rely heavily on word of mouth recommendations rather than paying for the TV advertising favoured by some national firms.
4 Contrary to some of the myths, it will usually not cost you any more to use a local solicitor than to use your insurer’s lawyer and you don’t have to use your insurer’s lawyer if you prefer to ‘go local’.
Solicitors should always explain funding options to you at the outset but variations on ‘no win, no fee’ are still widely available.
5 At Ashtons, we regularly receive enquiries from local people who would like a second opinion on personal injury claims because they feel that the amount they have been offered by their insurer’s lawyer is not a fair reflection of their losses. In many cases we agree and have been able to obtain a better settlement.
If you would like to talk to one of our team to find out how we might help with your injury claim please contact the team on 0800 587 0093.