Ipswich: Another family run business opens in St Nicholas Street
- Credit: Archant
Doors open at Doorsteps
Another family business has opened in St Nicholas Street, in the centre of Ipswich - Doorsteps sandwich bar and coffee shop.
For former teachers Steve and Judith Weale it is a second venture in the town, as they already run Milly’s and Willy’s coffee bar and takeaway in Northgate Street.
Judith said: “We have been running Willy’s and Milly’s for four years in August. It is a second career for us. We are both teachers.
“I left six years ago and Steve stopped last year.” “I thought it was time for a change,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
The two coffee shops will be a true family business.
Daughter Becky has designed the decor and signs for Doorsteps and both she, and her brother David, will be working in the two businesses around their university commitments.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 6 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 7 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 8 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
Steve and Judith did the decorating and fitting out themselves.
They took over the former Arnie’s sandwich shop four weeks ago.
“It is all very exciting.
“This is a lovely building. Just like a house, when you walk in the door, it felt just right,” said Judy.
“We have designed the kitchen and serving area carefully to leave space for tables and chairs.
“It will be somewhere for people to relax, as well as come in to get their lunches
“We will be doing sandwiches, rolls jacket potatoes and salads, cakes and snacks.
“We have our own specially blended coffee from the Suffolk Coffee Company at Peasenhall.”
Historic St Nicholas Street and adjoining St Peter’s Street are a main route linking Ipswich town centre with the Waterfront, and very much and up-and-coming area of town, said Steve.
“It is a really nice road, and most of the shops are independent.
“We have been looking for somewhere else for some time, a couple locally and one in the Lake District, but that was impractical.”
And why Doorsteps?”
“It is associated with doorstep sandwiches,” explained Steve, “and there are steps down from the street.”
It will be open from Monday to Saturday each week, and occasional Sundays when there are special events taking place.