Ipswich: Big order book for local builder
Barnes Construction secures £33m of work in leisure and retail sectors
Ipswich-based Barnes Construction is continuing to expand its leisure and retail portfolio and is currently working on a number of contracts throughout the region with a total value of just under £33 million.
Contracts currently being constructed include:
n Five new hotels for Premier Inn at Bury St Edmunds (75-bed), Cambridge (121-bed), Clacton (66-bed), Kettering (24-bed) and Kingston-on-Thames (160-bed) and a new 78-bed Travelodge at Richmond-on-Thames.
n Two new public houses for Marston’s Inns and Taverns at Great Yarmouth and Chesham.
n A new Chiquitos restaurant shell for Tollgate Partnership in Colchester.
n A new Homebargains store retail shell for T J Morris Ltd adjacent to the Gateway Retail Park at Parkeston in Harwich.
- 1 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 2 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 3 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 8 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
- 9 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 10 Ipswich pubs offer cash reward to see spiking conviction
Nick Fayers, managing director, Barnes Construction said: “Over the last 15 years we have completed in excess of 3,500 rooms for Travelodge Hotels alone, on both a local and national basis. In addition, we have built over 20 new pubs over the last four years under our Framework relationship with Marston’s Inns and Taverns. However, we are also proud of the work we have done locally on a number of high end, three and four star hotel projects for independent operators, such as Ufford Park in Melton, The Brudenell Hotel in Aldeburgh, Claydon Country House in Claydon and Bedford Lodge Hotel in Newmarket.”
Construction will be ongoing over the next 16 months with completion taking place at various times from late 2014 to the end of 2015. Barnes Construction is now a major builder and developer over a wide area.
It was started, by David Barnes, in 1978 - the year Ipswich Town won the FA Cup, originally at New Cut West close to Ipswich Waterfront.
It now has around 100 employees and provides work for many other tradesmen and sub contractors.