Ipswich BMX Club unveils vision for £150,000 track revamp
- Credit: CHARLOTTE BOND
It is a sport that is very much flying high - but now Ipswich BMX Club is campaigning for £150,000 to pay for a new track which will really help it to take off.
Formed in 1980, the town's BMX club is the longest running bicycle motocross club in the country.
The upkeep of the current track at Landseer Park is proving difficult for the club, as it took members more than 150 hours of preparation to get it to a good racing standard for the BMX east summer regional race series on Sunday, which attracted riders from all over East Anglia.
Chairman of the club Bryan Grumble and his team are currently working with the Gainsborough People's Forum and are in talks with British Cycling, Sports England and National Lottery to gain further funding for the track.
They are also seeking help from community groups as well.
You may also want to watch:
Tracey Reeve, club member and head of funding for the project, said: "As well a better track layout, the money will provide running water, lighting, raised platforms where people can spcetate and potentially a toilet facility which they currently don't have."
Mr Grumble added that the goal is "to see the park as a multi-use cycling facility which incorporates BMX road cycling and mountain bikes, maybe even a skate park".
- 1 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 2 First look at plans for new Ipswich BMX track ahead of big build
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 5 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
- 6 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 7 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 8 Plans for new Waterfront restaurant and bar receive over 50 objections
- 9 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 10 'Mortified' mum who was too big to fit in airplane seatbelt loses 8st
Ipswich BMX rider John Lillingstone, British champion in 2018 and in 2006 who is also competing in the world championships this year, has been racing at his home track in Landseer Park for more than 25 years.
He said: "I'm looking forward to getting a new track and hopefully having a national here and maybe even a European event.
"It would be awesome to see it back at Ipswich."