Free parking on Thursday evenings for Christmas shoppers in Ipswich
- Credit: Ipswich Borough Council
Festive shoppers in Ipswich have been given a boost with the introduction of free parking on Thursday evenings in the build-up to Christmas.
Visitors will be able to park for free past 2pm at the Ipswich Borough Council-run Crown car park, in Charles Street, on every Thursday up to Christmas.
The free parking, which lasts until 9.30pm, coincides with the town centre's late-night Christmas shopping hours on Thursday, starting this week.
The final day of free parking will be on December 23.
The announcement of the weekly free car parking has been welcomed by a number of independent traders in and around the town centre.
Steven Long, manager of beer retailer Hopsters in St Nicholas Street, believed the offer would help boost trade due to the high price of parking in Ipswich.
He said: "Parking is a massive issue in this town with the price. We've got branches in Chelmsford and Leigh-on-Sea, but parking there is so much cheaper.
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 4 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 9 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 10 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
"We will be open on Thursday evenings and hoping for a busy Christmas. I think the council needs to implement this sort of thing more often.
"I hope people know about it — it's a good idea."
Dermot Gillespie, of Music World in Queen Street, added: "There's a few loading bays out the front, but you can't stay there for long.
"This is definitely something that should help. It's important that we have a good Christmas."
Sarah Barber, Ipswich Borough Council portfolio holder for the town centre, said: "This offer will help retailers and other businesses in the run-up to Christmas.
"Free parking after 2pm on these Thursdays will enable visitors heading to the town centre to shop local, enjoy a meal or go to the theatre and keep a little extra for buying their festive treats."
Ipswich Borough Council has started its preparations for the festive season, with a 50-feet tall Christmas tree recently being put up on the Cornhill.
While no traditional switch-on event is being held this year, tickets are available for a drive-through of the town centre under the festive lights on the Sundays leading up to Christmas.