WATCH: Today is the day – meet the man behind a million sausages
- Credit: Archant
The Hot Sausage Company is celebrating 30 years of trading at the Cornhill and having sold more than a million sausages – by giving away 1,000 hot dogs today.
The popular stand, run by Andrew Babington-Barber, has been serving its famous hot dogs for more than three decades and now they want to say thank you to their loyal customers.
Speaking of the giveaway today, Andrew said: "We are giving away 1,000 large free hot dogs.
"I don't want anyone to come here, queue for ten minutes and be disappointed if they just get a little one."
The hot dog staff will spend most of their day flipping the sausages for free - but Andrew can't wait to get stuck in.
Before opening the hot dog stand in 1989, Andrew worked as a retail manager in Burtons, opposite where he now sells his hot dogs.
He said: "My colleagues thought I was mad when I started.
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 5 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 6 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 7 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 8 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 9 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 10 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
"I handed in my notice on April fools day, but I didn't realise at the time so they all thought it was a joke - but I haven't regretted one minute of it."
The decision to launch the free hot dog day comes after their Facebook page reached its target of 5,000 likes, way ahead of its closing date of the end of June.
Read more about the day here.