WATCH: Today is the day – meet the man behind a million sausages
- Credit: Archant
The Hot Sausage Company is celebrating 30 years of trading at the Cornhill and having sold more than a million sausages – by giving away 1,000 hot dogs today.
The popular stand, run by Andrew Babington-Barber, has been serving its famous hot dogs for more than three decades and now they want to say thank you to their loyal customers.
Speaking of the giveaway today, Andrew said: "We are giving away 1,000 large free hot dogs.
"I don't want anyone to come here, queue for ten minutes and be disappointed if they just get a little one."
The hot dog staff will spend most of their day flipping the sausages for free - but Andrew can't wait to get stuck in.
You may also want to watch:
Before opening the hot dog stand in 1989, Andrew worked as a retail manager in Burtons, opposite where he now sells his hot dogs.
He said: "My colleagues thought I was mad when I started.
- 1 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 2 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 3 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 4 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 5 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 6 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 7 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 8 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
- 9 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
"I handed in my notice on April fools day, but I didn't realise at the time so they all thought it was a joke - but I haven't regretted one minute of it."
The decision to launch the free hot dog day comes after their Facebook page reached its target of 5,000 likes, way ahead of its closing date of the end of June.
Read more about the day here.