Ipswich: Cutting edge style at town salon
- Credit: Lucy taylor
Town centre salon growing and developing
The Saints in Ipswich has become home for a vibrant mixture of independent shops and businesses.
Simon Smith and the team at Edge Hairdressing at No 1 St Peter’s Street are pleased to be there.
Stylist Simon started his first local salon, in Woodbridge, in 1998 and it proved so successful and popular he brought the brand to Ipswich in 2009.
“I have been a hairstylist for 28 years, both here and abroad. I have worked in the Channel Islands, the USA and London.
You may also want to watch:
“I was in St Helier on Jersey.”
Simon said: “This is the nicest location in town as far as I am concerned, all the local independent businesses are an absolute delight. The area and the old buildings are realy beautiful - and we have our own Cardinal Woley statue in the square.
- 1 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 2 First look at plans for new Ipswich BMX track ahead of big build
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 5 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
- 6 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 7 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 8 Plans for new Waterfront restaurant and bar receive over 50 objections
- 9 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 10 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
“This is one of the main routes to the Waterfront and we get the passing people on foot. It is starting to affect the larger town which is quite nice.
“It is a lovely road for people.”
Edge Hairdressing salon has been at St Peter’s Street two years now, moving and opening at the beginning of September 2012.
He said: “I don’t know where the time has gone.
“We are growing and expanding our services. Times are changing and we are moving on and developing all the time.
“We specialise in colour work and colour correction work. It has been a growth are and it is what we specialise in.
“We now have two new stylists here; Donna Hayter who has 30 years experience in Ipwswich and Michael Gould, who has been working in Ipswich for six years.”
This busy town centre salon has up to nine chairs in operation at its busiest times.
Simon said: “I am still very much a hands-on stylist.
“I like being behind the chair, five or six days a week. I am really passionate about the businesses, and helping clients.
“I like with being able to work with clients, day to day. on a personal level. I still get a buzz from it. It is what I enjoy.”
Edge offers advice on cutting, styling and bespoke haircare for its customers.
It was about helping customers look great, and feel better as a result, he said.
So the arrival of Emma Jayne Fryatt’s Nail Artistry UK team to the salon had been a great step forward for the customers, he said.
“The two services complement each other very well.
“I think we will work very well together. Hopefully we will be able to look after each other’s clients, over time.
“It is a very positive time for us.”
Edge Hairdressing, 1 St Peter’s Street, Ipswich
Telephone 01473 287099.