Brexit-ready freight forwarder sees ‘massive’ rise in European trade
- Credit: Archant
An Ipswich freight firm which organises the transportation of goods to and from Europe has seen a significant uplift in sales – despite Brexit uncertainty.
Freight forwarder Morrison Freight is celebrating 27% growth over the last 12 months.
The business, based at Great Blakenham and recently named International Business of the Year at the East of England Federation of Small Business (FSB) Awards, has seen a surge in new customers and has now started a recruitment drive as the company expands.
MORE - Ipswich haulage firm boss's fury at lack of police communication over £250k heistIt puts its growth down to the preparations it has put in place to minimise the effects Brexit will have on its operations.
Over the last 18 months, it has secured Authorised Economic Operator (AEO) accreditation, registered with the Transitional Simplified Procedures (TSP) for customs and invested in internal and external training to prepare the business and its staff for Brexit.
Director Darren Ryan said: "We have seen a massive increase in European cross-trade over the last 12 months.
"In addition to new customers, many of our existing customers have contacted us for additional services and it's great to see that, despite the ongoing uncertainty and potential risks a no-deal Brexit could bring, customers are putting their trust in us to weather the storm."
Fellow director Lee Steward said the company was determined to stay "focused and positive", and supporting its customers.
- 1 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 2 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 3 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 4 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 5 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 6 'Dedicated and devoted' - tributes paid to retired teacher Annick Smith
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 9 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 10 Suffolk headteacher criticises school rankings
"No matter what the verdict is in October, the effect Brexit will have on our industry is huge.
"This is why we began our preparations early; securing accreditations ahead of time, investing in training and improving our system has been vital."
Morrison Freight offers full load and part-load trailer services, groupage (combining goods to create single shipments), and express transport services to and from 25 countries across Europe.
Mr Steward and Mr Ryan took over the business in 2015 and have grown it year on year, expanding its operations to offer a European-wide service.