Ipswich: Maritime Trust says new developments bring opportunities
- Credit: Archant
Let’s mark the historic names of the Waterfront
The news of the disposal this week of the Wine Rack, and the plans for it to be completed to provide new homes and commercial space in the Waterfront, are a great boost for the area.
It could indeed provide a catalyst for further re-development in the area, as more sites are snapped up by entrepreneurs who are willing invest and carry on with this great venture.
It is also an opportunity for new owners to choose names which link the the historic docks, wharfes and quays in the area.
Stuart Grimwade, of the Ipswich Maritime Trust, told me the name, Regatta Quay had no historical significance here.
You may also want to watch:
“It is Albion Wharf and that is a much better name,” he said. “We would love to see more of the historic names which link to the past.
“The aim of the trust is to encourage all those involved in the future redevelopment of Ipswich’s historic Waterfront to recognise the importance of the old quay names, and of the need to re-instate them in their rightful locations.” There were plenty of historic names available, he said.
- 1 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 2 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 3 Police concerned for missing man from Kesgrave
- 4 Lorry 'not seen' by crane operator in container crush, port say
- 5 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 6 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 7 ‘Totally unacceptable’ - Cladding fears for Waterfront blocks near Aurora
- 8 Kesgrave shooting trial enters final stages
- 9 'Hammer seen' in robbery by group of males at Felixstowe Skatepark
- 10 New rules on dog control and fouling proposed for Ipswich parks
In fact Genesis, the developer of the Stoke Quay housing development have been very keen to know about relevant names for the blocks of the development.
Barnard’s Square too is named after a famous firm of Ipswich boat builders in the Stoke area, he added.
The Ipswich Maritime Trust has its window museum display, about the history of the area, on Albion Wharf.