Ipswich: Phil’s blind faith draws customers as shop bucks recession
A BUSINESSMAN has opened up his first shop having started running it as an online enterprise.
Phil Aldred opened The Red Room after taking over the lease at a former butchery in Spring Road, Ipswich, on June 1.
The 41-year-old started the business, which makes custom-made curtains, Roman blinds and cushions, having initially run the service on an auction website.
He said: “I had been self-employed running The Red Room online and had always wanted my own shop.
“I just thought ‘if I don’t do it now, I never will’ so I made the daunting decision to lease a unit.
“The economic problems are always at the back of my mind but I’ve taken my chance and it’s paying off.”
Mr Aldred worked in Essex and London before moving back to Ipswich 12 years ago and taught himself how to make curtains, cushions and Roman blinds from scratch.
- 1 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 2 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 3 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 4 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 5 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 6 When will my bins be collected this Christmas?
- 7 Man who left taxi driver with serious head injuries admits attack
- 8 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 9 Being called ‘woke’ by older people an ‘insult’ says Suffolk students
- 10 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
He said: “A lot of people have come into the shop thinking I’m going to stock lots of fabrics but I’m happy for customers to buy material from wherever they want and I’ll make the item they request. That’s what makes me unique compared to other businesses.
“I’ve been making curtains and blinds – handmade goods rather than run-of-the-mill items from Dunelm – for more than 20 years and am self-taught. At the moment I have had a run of orders which has been great.”
Visit www.theredroomipswich.moonfruit.co.uk or call Mr Aldred on 07746 369176 for more details.
n Have you opened a new business? Call newsdesk on 01473 324840 or e-mail email@example.com