Ipswich: Reaction continues over closure of Gym and Trim as hundreds of members left out of pocket
Reaction continued to flood in today following the shock closure of one of the town’s best-known gyms.
E-mails were sent to the gym’s members over the weekend which blamed the current economic climate and increased competition for the closure.
McTear Williams and Wood (MWW), who have been put in charge of winding up the long-standing business, expressed their sadness at the closure and the loss of jobs.
Adrian Sage of MWW said ‘It is sad to see what was one of the first gym and fitness clubs in Ipswich having to close but increased competition in the area has made trading conditions difficult. Unfortunately seven staff have been made redundant.”
Evening Star readers have expressed their shock at the closure with many also blaming the opening of rival gyms for the closure. Some were also questioning whether or not their money would be returned.
You may also want to watch:
One gym member said it appeared the gym had been struggling for a number of months.
He added: “I think that they struggled to cope with the increased competition in the area, with three rivals opening up in quick succession.
- 1 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 2 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 5 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 6 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
- 7 Do you remember having a pint at Ipswich's Sporting Farmer pub?
- 8 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
“It really hit them hard especially with two of the gyms charging almost half price for membership with newer and more equipment.
“It seemed quite sudden and a lot of people will have lost out on money, and obviously I feel for the people have lost their jobs too.”
Gym and Trim first opened in Charles Street in 1978 before moving to a premises in Lower Orwell Street. It moved to Cardinal Park several years ago – the gym had more than 900 members when it closed.
n Are you a member of Gym and Trim? What do you think to the closure? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or you can send an e-mail to us at email@example.com.