Ipswich: Reaction continues over closure of Gym and Trim as hundreds of members left out of pocket
Reaction continued to flood in today following the shock closure of one of the town’s best-known gyms.
E-mails were sent to the gym’s members over the weekend which blamed the current economic climate and increased competition for the closure.
McTear Williams and Wood (MWW), who have been put in charge of winding up the long-standing business, expressed their sadness at the closure and the loss of jobs.
Adrian Sage of MWW said ‘It is sad to see what was one of the first gym and fitness clubs in Ipswich having to close but increased competition in the area has made trading conditions difficult. Unfortunately seven staff have been made redundant.”
Evening Star readers have expressed their shock at the closure with many also blaming the opening of rival gyms for the closure. Some were also questioning whether or not their money would be returned.
One gym member said it appeared the gym had been struggling for a number of months.
He added: “I think that they struggled to cope with the increased competition in the area, with three rivals opening up in quick succession.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 3 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 4 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 5 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 6 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 7 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 8 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“It really hit them hard especially with two of the gyms charging almost half price for membership with newer and more equipment.
“It seemed quite sudden and a lot of people will have lost out on money, and obviously I feel for the people have lost their jobs too.”
Gym and Trim first opened in Charles Street in 1978 before moving to a premises in Lower Orwell Street. It moved to Cardinal Park several years ago – the gym had more than 900 members when it closed.
n Are you a member of Gym and Trim? What do you think to the closure? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or you can send an e-mail to us at email@example.com.