Ipswich: Stress forces brewery boss to close... and give up beer
A MICRO brewery owner today revealed he has closed down his two pubs and will stop making beer because of poor health and tough competition from supermarkets.
Frank Walsh first opened up St Jude’s Brewery with his wife, Colleen, in 2006 – the pair operated out of their home in Cardigan Street, Ipswich, where they produced a number of different real ales.
After seeing a high demand for the beers they were making, they decided to open up their first pub in Ipswich in February last year, which was followed by a further pub in Felixstowe in December.
Despite seeing a great deal of success, Mr Walsh revealed the business had taken its toll on him and Colleen and they are pleased to have finished St Jude’s.
He said: “We started seeing a drop in trade during the middle of the week.
“I actually don’t drink beer any more because I associate it with stress.
“I just thought enough is enough, there’s just too much against us. It’s just gloomy and I’m glad we got out now.
- 1 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 2 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 3 Two arrests made following stabbing
- 4 'We're lucky to get her back' - Drone finds missing Pinky after 17 days
- 5 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 7 Serving police officer appears in court over alleged misconduct offence
- 8 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 9 Baby Elsie in ship-shape despite dramatic birth in car at Sutton Hoo
- 10 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
“I think the age of the pub is coming to an end.”
As well as stiff competition from supermarkets, brewers are also facing a challenging time following a rise in duty for brewers and Mr Walsh believes there will be more pubs and brewers who will be forced to close in the near future.
“It’s a tough game,” added Mr Walsh.
“We’re just relaxing now and trying to get our breaths back and live a simple life for a while. We have been under such a lot of stress.”
? What are your thoughts on the closure of St Jude’s Brewery? Write to Your Letters, Ipswich Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, IP4 1AN, or alternatively you can send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org