Brand new Superdry to open this Saturday in Ipswich Buttermarket
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich town centre is due for a big boost as fashion giants Superdry open their doors this weekend for the first time.
The major clothing brand has been moving in to its new premises in the Buttermarket this week, giving the shop front a face lift and filling clothing racks with a range of men's and women's fashion.
The store is located on the Buttermarket street entrance of the shopping centre in the centre of Ipswich and will first open its doors at 10am on Saturday, June 29.
Boarding on the front of the shop has now been taken down, revealing the bright orange shop front which Superdry is renowned for.
Tim Leggett, committee member for the Ipswich Society, said: "Another big and popular name filling three empty units in Ipswich has got to be good for the town in these times of town centre retail decline in the UK.
"This leaves the retail spaces on the ground floor of the Buttermarket all occupied.
"With hints that Honey and Harvey may also be opening sometime soon on Giles Circus and Toni and Guy having recently filled another long term empty unit in Butter Market, as well as an Arras Square revamp on the cards, things are looking up for this part of the town.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 6 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 7 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 8 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food spots around Ipswich
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
"We just need a tenant in the old Grimwades building on Cornhill and things don't look that bad when I see retail declining in every town I go to."
Superdry have just revealed that hte first 50 customers will be given a free treat. There will also be a live DJ, dancers and stilt walkers at the openeing.
Sarah Barber, Portfolio holder for the town centre at Ipswich Borough Council, said: "It is great that such an established store is coming to Ipswich.
"With retail in such a transitional stage it is great to see Superdry opening in the Buttermarket.
"Over all it is a really great thing for Ipswich."
The addition of Superdry to The Buttermarket's current roster caps off an incredible turnaround for the shopping mall.
Since a 2015 more than £25m has been invested in the centre - which now boasts a 18,000 sq ft gym, bowling alley, family entertainment centre and a food and drink quarter.