Ipswich: Well-known pub to get �350k new look
IPSWICH: One of Ipswich’s most prominent pubs, The Station Hotel, is set to be transformed following a �350,000 refurbishment.
Businessman Eddie Roberts, who already runs another pub in town, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, is planning a substantial upgrade for the venue’s bars, restaurant and the 15 letting rooms.
Mr Roberts has taken a long-term lease from landlords Punch Hotels and had previously been managing the pub on their behalf.
Once the work is completed, the pub, which is located opposite Ipswich Railway Station, will be renamed The Riverside (Station) Hotel.
Mr Roberts said: “It is a beautiful building which is the first place many people see when they arrive in the town.
You may also want to watch:
“There is loads of history here. Kings and queens have stayed in the rooms and Bobby Robson stayed here for three weeks when he arrived to manage Ipswich Town, I believe.
“Our aim is to return it to its former glory, keeping the best features and bringing everything else up-to-date.”
- 1 Aldi store on Ipswich estate 'set to close within weeks'
- 2 Could Aldi closure prompt all change in Ipswich shops?
- 3 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 4 Cash and jewellery stolen after Ipswich home broken into
- 5 Churches prepare to open at Quay Place and the former Odeon cinema
- 6 Gymophobics ladies' gym in Ipswich set to close down
- 7 Can you spot yourself in our first class school pictures from 2002?
- 8 Delays of 80 minutes following A12 crashes
- 9 'Queen's send-off' for great-grandmother at Ipswich Sikh temple
- 10 Patient visiting rules relaxed at Ipswich and Colchester hospitals
The builders are currently busy converting 15 bedrooms with en-suite facilities and these are expected to open at Easter.
The bars will be transformed as leather sofas will be introduced, giving it a hotel feel.
There will also be a new restaurant on site with a Sunday carvery.
Mr Roberts, who has been in Ipswich since 2003, added: “We are the away football fans’ pub on Saturdays, and that will continue. We aim to put in a sports bar/cafe, with a decking area overlooking the river at the rear, in the summer and ready for next season.”