Ipswich: Well-known pub to get �350k new look
IPSWICH: One of Ipswich’s most prominent pubs, The Station Hotel, is set to be transformed following a �350,000 refurbishment.
Businessman Eddie Roberts, who already runs another pub in town, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, is planning a substantial upgrade for the venue’s bars, restaurant and the 15 letting rooms.
Mr Roberts has taken a long-term lease from landlords Punch Hotels and had previously been managing the pub on their behalf.
Once the work is completed, the pub, which is located opposite Ipswich Railway Station, will be renamed The Riverside (Station) Hotel.
Mr Roberts said: “It is a beautiful building which is the first place many people see when they arrive in the town.
“There is loads of history here. Kings and queens have stayed in the rooms and Bobby Robson stayed here for three weeks when he arrived to manage Ipswich Town, I believe.
“Our aim is to return it to its former glory, keeping the best features and bringing everything else up-to-date.”
- 1 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 2 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 3 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 4 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 5 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 6 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 7 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
- 8 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 9 Girl, 15, followed by man while walking dog in village near Ipswich
- 10 BT applies to install eight Street Hubs in Ipswich
The builders are currently busy converting 15 bedrooms with en-suite facilities and these are expected to open at Easter.
The bars will be transformed as leather sofas will be introduced, giving it a hotel feel.
There will also be a new restaurant on site with a Sunday carvery.
Mr Roberts, who has been in Ipswich since 2003, added: “We are the away football fans’ pub on Saturdays, and that will continue. We aim to put in a sports bar/cafe, with a decking area overlooking the river at the rear, in the summer and ready for next season.”