Old posties’ bikes given new lease of life on industrial estate
- Credit: Archant
An office complex has offered its tenants free short-term use of bikes to encourage them to improving their fitness and promote eco-friendly transport.
Many employees working from Masterlord Office Village in Ransomes Europark, Ipswich, took part in the UK’s biggest cycle commuting event, Cycle to Work Day, on Thursday (August 6).
Their new blue ‘Masterbikes’ – rebuilt Royal Mail postal bikes - were all originally hand-made in the UK and are now getting a new lease of life at the complex.
MORE – Recruitment firm boss launches new business during lockdown“Each of our Masterbikes is professionally restored,” said Alison Smith of Masterlord. “For each one we buy, another is rebuilt by Cycle of Good and sent to Malawi for local people to use. It’s a fantastic scheme. We’re the only offices in Ipswich offering this new initiative.”
The response to the bikes – which include distinctive wicker baskets upfront – has been “overwhelmingly positive” the centre said.
“As they were originally built for Royal Mail, they’re virtually indestructible and have been reconditioned from the handlebars to the wheels,” said Ms Smith.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone is talking about keeping fit in our socially distanced world but many people are nervous about going to a gym as they re-open.”
The new bicycles are available to anyone working at Masterlord Office Village.
- 1 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 2 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 3 Lorry 'not seen' by crane operator in container crush, port say
- 4 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 5 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 6 Police concerned for missing man from Kesgrave
- 7 Kesgrave shooting trial enters final stages
- 8 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 9 'Hammer seen' in robbery by group of males at Felixstowe Skatepark
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal