Garden centre planned for multi-million pound Morrisons revamp
- Credit: Archant
The Ipswich Morrisons superstore which undertook a major revamp and saw the closure of the Namco bowling alley looks set to add a garden centre to its plans.
The supermarket off Sproughton Road reopened its doors nearly a month ago and now plans have been revealed for a small garden centre to open at the front of the shop.
Read more: Community to be at the heart of expanded superstoreAccording to the new proposals the garden centre will be about the size of four car parking spaces.
Its addition will be part of the revamp which has cost Morrisons more than £5 million - after the retail giant bought the Namco building with the aim of demolishing it to eventually make way for new additions to the fuel station.
Namco Funscape shut its doors in January after citing poor trade conditions and Morrisons made an application to demolish the building just a few weeks later.
Read more: Shock as Namco Funscape in Ipswich closesA large overhaul of the petrol station is planned in the new year, which looks set to include a convenience-style shop.
A new access road has also been created within the new work, with small upgrades having already been made to the petrol station.
You may also want to watch:
Morrisons store manager Paul Tracey said previously that the new revamp was necessary to help them work with the community.
They've added a community room to the superstore to "give something back" to the residents of the Whitehouse area.
- 1 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 First look at plans for new Ipswich BMX track ahead of big build
- 4 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 5 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 6 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 7 Orwell Bridge: Road block removed as person safely off bridge
- 8 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 10 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
Ipswich Borough Council will make the final decisions on the plans in due course.