Riders compete in static bike race
- Credit: Archant
Basepoint staff and licensees went head-to-head with other local businesses in the St Elizabeth Hospice fundraising initiative ‘RideFest’.
The race is a static bike endurance event comprising of three team relay races and a chief executive race.
The Basepoint team - named ‘One Gear Wonders’ - consisted of centre manager Alison Morrissey, assistant manager Leanne Martin, Haven Power employees Ben Glymin, Toby Milne and Carl Robinson, ESN Directors Ed Vartan, Sam Osbourne and Nick Papworth and Howard Shipping manager Jon Zagni.
With team members abilities ranging from the enthusiastic cyclist to those who hadn’t been on a bike since childhood- the challenge proved tough but rewarding, with each person managing to cycle a minimum four miles in their 10-minute slot.
Centre manager Alison Morrissey finished the relay with a gruelling 30-minute solo cycle, covering a combined distance of 15 miles and adding to the team’s total of 51.6 miles in two hours.
Having set a target of raising £450 - enough to cover eight individual therapy sessions at the hospice to assist someone in dealing with the loss of a loved one - team members were ecstatic to discover their total had actually exceeded £1,800.
Centre Manager Alison Morrissey said: “The support we have received has been fantastic. The hospice has touched the lives of so many local people, and to be able to partake in an event like this where we can give something back and make a difference has been incredibly rewarding.
- 1 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire
- 2 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 3 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 4 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 7 5 places to spot celebrities in Suffolk
- 8 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 9 Do you recognise these old Tolly Cobbold pubs?
- 10 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
“We have pledged to raise £3,000 for St Elizabeth Hospice this year so I’m sure there will be many more events to come.”