New pizza joint with sourdough twist to open at former Ipswich restaurant
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
A "passionate" cook and dad-of-three is launching a new sourdough style takeaway at the former Pizza Express in the heart of Ipswich.
Sourdough Street will be the latest pizza joint to open in Ipswich next week, moving into the former Pizza Express in Lloyds Avenue and run by first-time restaurateur Toni Scanu.
Mr Scanu, 40, who has been in catering his whole life, hopes to corner the market on sourdough pizza in Ipswich — which he claims is not available locally.
The "passionate" pizza maker, currently living in Colchester, will also have as many local ingredients as he can get with flour, vegetables, ice cream, and alcohol sourced in Britain.
He will also draw on his Italian heritage from his father's side, and bring Sardinian cheese, wine and beer to Ipswich taste buds.
"[Coronavirus] has helped shape me and move me into the takeaway aspect so I can safeguard myself so I am always trading no matter what happens," he said.
Mr Scanu will open Sourdough Street as a restaurant, hopefully in July, if his license application is approved by Ipswich Borough Council.
Takeaway and delivery should be open next week via online ordering apps like Just Eat.
- 1 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 2 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 3 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 4 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 5 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 6 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 7 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
- 8 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week