New pizza joint with sourdough twist to open at former Ipswich restaurant
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
A "passionate" cook and dad-of-three is launching a new sourdough style takeaway at the former Pizza Express in the heart of Ipswich.
Sourdough Street will be the latest pizza joint to open in Ipswich next week, moving into the former Pizza Express in Lloyds Avenue and run by first-time restaurateur Toni Scanu.
Mr Scanu, 40, who has been in catering his whole life, hopes to corner the market on sourdough pizza in Ipswich — which he claims is not available locally.
The "passionate" pizza maker, currently living in Colchester, will also have as many local ingredients as he can get with flour, vegetables, ice cream, and alcohol sourced in Britain.
He will also draw on his Italian heritage from his father's side, and bring Sardinian cheese, wine and beer to Ipswich taste buds.
"[Coronavirus] has helped shape me and move me into the takeaway aspect so I can safeguard myself so I am always trading no matter what happens," he said.
Mr Scanu will open Sourdough Street as a restaurant, hopefully in July, if his license application is approved by Ipswich Borough Council.
Takeaway and delivery should be open next week via online ordering apps like Just Eat.
- 1 WATCH: England fan pulled out of water at Ipswich marina
- 2 Opening date confirmed for new indoor market in Ipswich's former Peacocks
- 3 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 4 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 5 'Stressed' bride forced to cut guest list just over a week before wedding
- 6 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 7 £1.4m home with swimming pool and tennis court for sale on edge of Ipswich
- 8 Drug courier delivering cocaine in Ipswich is jailed
- 9 'Happy-go-lucky' mum died in Ipswich days after news of second lockdown
- 10 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell