Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- Credit: Tom Johnson
A husband and wife team have turned their love of cooking smoked meats and sweet treats into a home-delivery business after years of impressing at BBQs.
Francesca and Tim Cresswell, who live in Mendlesham Green, have turned their passion for food into a business from their home.
Mr Cresswell, who works as a drinks dispense technician alongside the new venture, first started smoking meats over 10 years ago, impressing at events with friends and family.
They had always wanted to start their own business and decided to take the plunge in lockdown following the rise of food deliveries and eating at home.
Mrs Cresswell, who worked in admin, now runs The Suffolk Smoke Company full-time alongside raising their son Bertie, who is nearly one.
They deliver their famous BBQs in a conveniently chilled box ready to heat and enjoy at home, after years of mastering the art of "low n' slow".
Mrs Cresswell said: "It's been great fun and I love it, but it's been one of the hardest challenges juggling it with being a full-time mum.
- 1 Ipswich father caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 2 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 3 Woman in 80s remains in hospital after serious collision in Ipswich
- 4 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 5 9 bargain attractions within an hour of Ipswich
- 6 Will Ipswich betting shop be turned into fish and chip shop?
- 7 'Massive success' - see pictures from Ipswich LGBT+ night
- 8 Bicycle stolen from parked car in Ipswich
- 9 'Paper' loss does not affect Ipswich council's income from property - Ellesmere
- 10 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
"But the long nights are definitely worth it when we see the reviews."
Mrs Cresswell is a self-taught baker and makes brownies from scratch to go into the platters, with son Bertie the "chief brownie tester".
"It's really important to us that we get the food right," said the 28-year-old.
"It's hard with BBQing as you have to get it right, otherwise with the timings it really puts you back. But we've worked really hard to get it spot on.
"We love everything American, especially anything Texas-style, so we just want to share our love of all things smoked.
“Everything is made from scratch, and is as local and fresh as we can get it."
The pair have a refrigerated van which they use to deliver the platters, but all of the prep is done from their kitchen.
Delivery is available to a number of Suffolk towns and villages including Sproughton, Bramford, Claydon, and Needham Market.