Poundland closes stores temporarily due to lockdown
- Credit: SARAH LUCY BROWN
Three Poundland stores in the region — including one in Ipswich — are closing temporarily due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The firm announced it was putting the stores in Ipswich's Sailmakers Shopping Centre, Colchester's Culver Street and in The Guineas in Newmarket into hibernation due to the coronavirus lockdown.
Poundland's other stores in the region will remain open.
The company said the move came after the lockdown caused an 80% drop in footfall in high streets and shopping centres.
Austin Cooke, Poundland’s retail director, said: “We learned valuable lessons during the lockdown in March about how buying patterns change as people stick to government advice to stay at home.
You may also want to watch:
“Putting a small number of stores into hibernation helps protect them for the long-term and helps us focus our attention on the majority of stores that remain open to serve their neighbourhoods.
“We hope this lockdown is short and we can re-open our hibernating stores as quickly as possible and we remain grateful for the vital support schemes available to us that help protect jobs.”
- 1 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 2 Boxing coach punches man in Ipswich pub attack
- 3 Major delays on A14 near Ipswich as broken down crane blocks carriageway
- 4 Shoplifter who stole conditioner and washing up goods caught on CCTV
- 5 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
- 6 HOW THE NIGHT UNFOLDED! Peterborough Panthers v Ipswich Witches
- 7 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 8 Two cars crash in Crown Street, Ipswich
- 9 Orwell Bridge safety concerns raised after 'worrying incidents'
- 10 Waterfront bar and restaurant bid rejected following 53 objections
Nationally, 44 Poundland stores have been put into "temporary hibernation".