Unruly Pig 'shell-shocked but thrilled' at spot in UK's top 10 gastropubs
- Credit: TIM BOWDEN/CLAUDIA GANNON
Popular Suffolk gastropub the Unruly Pig has won a top 10 spot in the prestigious Estrella Damm awards for 2021.
The venue, in Bromeswell near Woodbridge, has also been voted the 'Highest Climber' in the UK after placing 29th on last year's list, which is voted on by top foodies and hospitality experts.
Judges described the pub as "winsome, witty and warm", serving "filling, well-crafted pub food in an environment that reflects the owner’s personality".
They added: "(Owner) Brendan Padfield, as well as being a maverick, has completely transformed the former award-winning British Larder into the phenomenon that is Suffolk’s Unruly Pig and 2021’s Highest Climber."
Mr Padfield, who opened the pub six years ago after a 36-year stint as a solicitor, said: "When I set out on this journey, I never honestly imagined that Dave Wall and his team in the kitchen and the front-of-house team could have achieved national fame and glory.
"I am a bit shell-shocked but delighted, stunned, and overwhelmed. The team just made me the proudest man alive today. We climbed 19 places from 29th to 10th.
"It's great for Suffolk and East Anglia, it's the only UK top 50 gastropub in Suffolk and the highest rating in the region so I'm not sure it gets much better than this."
Head chef Dave Wall announced the news on Instagram on Saturday morning.
- 1 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
- 2 The Botanist looking for staff ahead of rumoured Ipswich opening
- 3 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 4 'A bridge too far' - Crane Sports boss Radnor speaks out as club pull out of League
- 5 Bargain hunters queue through town for Debenhams sale
- 6 'Amazing response' as pictures of post box toppers reach America
- 7 'Quick-thinking' member of public spotted Felixstowe drink-driver
- 8 Care home disappointed after 'significant concerns' spark inadequate rating
- 9 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 10 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
He posted: "Absolutely thrilled and over the moon to have placed 10th on the Estrella Damm Top 50 gastropubs list!
"It's a real honour to just be on the list and never thought we would place close to the top 10, so we're all just bowled over at Unruly Pig.
"A massive thank you to everyone that voted for us and to our fantastic team for all their hard work, as well as our lovely customers."
Named by the Michelin Guide as one of the top six food pubs in the east of England, the Unruly Pig was a newcomer to the Estrella Damm Top 50 Gastropubs list in 2017, and is now safely among its ranks.
Judges also praised the pub's use of local ingredients and suppliers and range of gluten, dairy-free and vegetarian dishes.
The full list of winners can be accessed via the Estrella Damm website.