Then and now: A look at Ipswich’s lost pubs
There was a time when there seemed to be a pub on every corner in Ipswich.
And if the old jokes are to be believed - a couple more in the middle of each street as well. But times have changed and today the town boasts far fewer watering holes than it once did. With the help of Google Street View and the Archant Archive, we have taken a look at some of Ipswich's best-loved pubs from times gone by - showing what they were, and what they look like today. All photos are dated between 2009 and 2018.
The Golden Lion - the historic building in the heart of the town is currently empty but was most recently a Wetherspoons pub.
The Emperor - once a popular pub, The Emperor in Norwich Road closed its doors in 2013 and has since been replaced by a Tesco Express.
The Hare and Hounds - after the Norwich Road pub shut in 2011 a bridal shop sprung up in its place.
The Heathlands - similarly to The Emperor, a Tesco Express now stands in place of this Foxhall Road pub, which closed down in 2013.
You may also want to watch:
Horse and Groom - since closing in 2012 this Woodbridge Road pub has been transformed into a home.
The John Bull - also in Woodbridge Road, The John Bull has been replaced by two businesses - a Turkish restaurant and a chip shop - since closing in 2011.
- 1 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 2 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 3 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 4 Former cop who suffered from PTSD prepares to take on 24-hour marathon
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: Drug courier and teenage burglar put behind bars
- 6 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 7 Car rental business set to bring jobs boost
- 8 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 9 England fans disappointed at goalless draw against Scotland
- 10 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
Lloyds Tavern - this town centre pub closed down in 2010 and today The Three Wise Monkeys restaurant and bar stands in its place.
The Maypole - the pub, which was situated in Old Norwich Road, closed down in 2014.
Three Jolly Sailors - since closing down in 2012 the Handford Road pub has been replaced by a stonemasons.