Then and now: A look at Ipswich’s lost pubs
There was a time when there seemed to be a pub on every corner in Ipswich.
And if the old jokes are to be believed - a couple more in the middle of each street as well. But times have changed and today the town boasts far fewer watering holes than it once did. With the help of Google Street View and the Archant Archive, we have taken a look at some of Ipswich's best-loved pubs from times gone by - showing what they were, and what they look like today. All photos are dated between 2009 and 2018.
The Golden Lion - the historic building in the heart of the town is currently empty but was most recently a Wetherspoons pub.
The Emperor - once a popular pub, The Emperor in Norwich Road closed its doors in 2013 and has since been replaced by a Tesco Express.
The Hare and Hounds - after the Norwich Road pub shut in 2011 a bridal shop sprung up in its place.
The Heathlands - similarly to The Emperor, a Tesco Express now stands in place of this Foxhall Road pub, which closed down in 2013.
You may also want to watch:
Horse and Groom - since closing in 2012 this Woodbridge Road pub has been transformed into a home.
The John Bull - also in Woodbridge Road, The John Bull has been replaced by two businesses - a Turkish restaurant and a chip shop - since closing in 2011.
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 3 Couple avoid jail for campaign of harassment against neighbour
- 4 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 5 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
- 6 Man taken to hospital after becoming stuck in mud in Ipswich riverbank
- 7 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 8 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 9 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
Lloyds Tavern - this town centre pub closed down in 2010 and today The Three Wise Monkeys restaurant and bar stands in its place.
The Maypole - the pub, which was situated in Old Norwich Road, closed down in 2014.
Three Jolly Sailors - since closing down in 2012 the Handford Road pub has been replaced by a stonemasons.