Then and now: A look at Ipswich’s lost pubs
There was a time when there seemed to be a pub on every corner in Ipswich.
And if the old jokes are to be believed - a couple more in the middle of each street as well. But times have changed and today the town boasts far fewer watering holes than it once did. With the help of Google Street View and the Archant Archive, we have taken a look at some of Ipswich's best-loved pubs from times gone by - showing what they were, and what they look like today. All photos are dated between 2009 and 2018.
The Golden Lion - the historic building in the heart of the town is currently empty but was most recently a Wetherspoons pub.
The Emperor - once a popular pub, The Emperor in Norwich Road closed its doors in 2013 and has since been replaced by a Tesco Express.
The Hare and Hounds - after the Norwich Road pub shut in 2011 a bridal shop sprung up in its place.
The Heathlands - similarly to The Emperor, a Tesco Express now stands in place of this Foxhall Road pub, which closed down in 2013.
Horse and Groom - since closing in 2012 this Woodbridge Road pub has been transformed into a home.
The John Bull - also in Woodbridge Road, The John Bull has been replaced by two businesses - a Turkish restaurant and a chip shop - since closing in 2011.
- 1 A14 near Ipswich remains partially closed after fire breaks out
- 2 Mum-of-four organises uniform pop-up market
- 3 Man wanted in connection with Ipswich assault arrested
- 4 'Tons' of water leaking from burst water main as people urged to avoid road
- 5 Fire breaks out in field near Westbourne Park in Ipswich
- 6 Car damaged after object thrown from bridge over A14 outside Ipswich
- 7 Drought declared in Suffolk as temperatures set to soar this weekend
- 8 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 9 Ipswich coffee shop owner receives award from PM
- 10 Ban on BBQs at Suffolk beauty spot due to extreme heat
Lloyds Tavern - this town centre pub closed down in 2010 and today The Three Wise Monkeys restaurant and bar stands in its place.
The Maypole - the pub, which was situated in Old Norwich Road, closed down in 2014.
Three Jolly Sailors - since closing down in 2012 the Handford Road pub has been replaced by a stonemasons.