Coffee chain Tim Hortons to open Ipswich branch later this year
- Credit: Tim Hortons/Fleet Street Communications
Canadian coffee chain Tim Hortons has revealed its new Ipswich restaurant is set to open later this year.
The Ipswich branch will take over the former Pizza Hut unit at Anglia Retail Park, opposite the Asda supermarket just off the A14.
The Pizza Hut restaurant did not reopen after the third Covid lockdown earlier this year.
Bosses at Tim Hortons said the opening of the new store, which is set to welcome its first customers in winter this year, will create more than 50 full- and part-time roles.
The firm already has 32 locations across the UK, with its flagship restaurant in Leicester city centre.
Tim Hortons is well-known in Canada for its coffees, breakfast muffins and pancakes, as well as chicken sandwiches and doughnuts.
The firm's plans to open its latest branch, which includes a drive-thru, were approved by Ipswich Borough Council in June.
Planners gave the scheme the green light subject to conditions surrounding refuse collection and parking.
Founded by former Toronto Maple Leafs hockey player Tim Horton in 1964, the company has more than 4,000 locations worldwide and opened its first UK branch in Glasgow in June 2017.
- 1 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
- 4 Neighbours raised alarm after man not seen for several days
- 5 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 6 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 7 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 8 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
Tim Hortons has announced plans to open up a restaurant in every major UK town or city by the end of next year.
Kevin Hydes, chief commercial officer of Tim Hortons franchise in the UK, said there was "great interest" from the Ipswich community in the new store.
He said: "Opening in a new area of the country is always a momentous occasion for our brand, and so I am delighted we can announce a new restaurant is coming to Ipswich.
"There is great interest from locals and tourists for our famed food and drink offering and we look forward to bringing our Canadian charm to all our fans based in the area.
"We are proud to be recruiting over 50 full and part time roles and we welcome applications from all those passionate about a career in hospitality.
"We will be accepting applications from today via our website and look forward to connecting with the Ipswich community."