Town talk: Concerns increase over traffic delays
- Credit: Archant
As the voice of business across the Greater Ipswich area, the Chamber of Commerce recognises that as well as ensuring the ideas and concerns of business are shared on a national level with our Members of Parliament and government ministers, it remains important for us to act on local issues that affect all firms on a day-to-day level.
A number of businesses tell us that there have been an increasing number of traffic delays affecting Ransomes Europark, which are having a direct cost impact.
We know that in 2012 the 72 incident support operatives that patrolled the A14 between Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds were made redundant, which we believe has impacted upon the time it takes for any broken down vehicles or accidents to be cleared, causing a considerable increase in delays following an incident.
In addition to this, Futura Park has opened with plans for further retail units, with no planned improvements to the road network.
The Ipswich Chamber of Commerce manifesto includes improvements to enhance Greater Ipswich’s local transport and infrastructure, which should make the town accessible for business.
Because this is such an important issue, in conjunction with two leading businesses, sited on Ransomes Europark, BDO LLP and Mediterranean Shipping Company (UK) Limited, we are conducting a survey to quantify the level of road traffic accidents and evaluate the impact that they are having on local businesses.
The survey will take around two minutes and can be completed on the following link -http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VQ9QX2Y.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 6 'I can’t explain how much it hurt' - mum who lost two children leads bereavement service
- 7 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 8 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 9 Kesgrave GP bookings start online after making appointments proves hard
- 10 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
We will collate these results, and present them, with the aim of generating press interest to highlight the issue.
We will also involve the local MPs to raise awareness of the issue in Parliament and press for a resolution.