Two Ipswich drivers in bus driver of the year finals
- Credit: cont
A bus driver from Ipswich Buses has come third in the UK Bus Driver of the Year awards at the annual finals held in Blackpool.
Leon Wells, 39 from Ipswich, was one of over 100 drivers who battled for the ultimate accolade for passenger transport professionals; to be named Bus Driver of the Year.
Leon received a trophy and a financial award of £500.
He also received the award for the Best Placed ALBUM Company Employee.
He was one of two Ipswich Buses employees to finish in the top 50 best drivers at the competition with Shaun Clark placing 44th.
Managing Director of Ipswich Buses Jeremy Cooper said, “Leon loves the bus industry and takes great care to maintain very well disciplined standards in all he does.
“This is an outstanding individual achievement on his part but I know he feels that his success also reflects the quality of work done by all our great team at Ipswich Buses, and Shaun Clark’s very creditable 44th place also confirms this.”
- 1 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 2 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 3 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Man who left taxi driver with serious head injuries admits attack
- 6 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 7 When will my bins be collected this Christmas?
- 8 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 9 Being called ‘woke’ by older people an ‘insult’ says Suffolk students
- 10 New base for Ipswich bin collection, recycling and street cleaning teams
During the competition, drivers from bus operators across the UK undertook a series of driving tests in a bid to win the Bus Driver of the Year title. Over a two mile course, each was required to execute a series of precision manoeuvres – all in an unfamiliar bus.
At the end of the course each driver also had to pass a breathalyser test before completing a tough written test.