Two Ipswich drivers in bus driver of the year finals
- Credit: cont
A bus driver from Ipswich Buses has come third in the UK Bus Driver of the Year awards at the annual finals held in Blackpool.
Leon Wells, 39 from Ipswich, was one of over 100 drivers who battled for the ultimate accolade for passenger transport professionals; to be named Bus Driver of the Year.
Leon received a trophy and a financial award of £500.
He also received the award for the Best Placed ALBUM Company Employee.
He was one of two Ipswich Buses employees to finish in the top 50 best drivers at the competition with Shaun Clark placing 44th.
You may also want to watch:
Managing Director of Ipswich Buses Jeremy Cooper said, “Leon loves the bus industry and takes great care to maintain very well disciplined standards in all he does.
“This is an outstanding individual achievement on his part but I know he feels that his success also reflects the quality of work done by all our great team at Ipswich Buses, and Shaun Clark’s very creditable 44th place also confirms this.”
- 1 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 2 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 3 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 4 Kesgrave shooting trial: 'Good character cannot provide a defence'
- 5 Opening date confirmed for new indoor market in Ipswich's former Peacocks
- 6 Former cop who suffered from PTSD prepares to take on 24-hour marathon
- 7 302 complaints about dogs off lead in Christchurch Park
- 8 WATCH: England fan pulled out of water at Ipswich marina
- 9 £1.4m home with swimming pool and tennis court for sale on edge of Ipswich
- 10 Drug courier delivering cocaine in Ipswich is jailed
During the competition, drivers from bus operators across the UK undertook a series of driving tests in a bid to win the Bus Driver of the Year title. Over a two mile course, each was required to execute a series of precision manoeuvres – all in an unfamiliar bus.
At the end of the course each driver also had to pass a breathalyser test before completing a tough written test.