University Campus Suffolk lecturer marks 30 years of teaching with a new book
- Credit: Archant
Still `scribbling’ after all these years
Russell Walker, senior lecturer for the BA (Hons) Graphic Design and BA (Hons) Graphic Design (Graphic Illustration) programmes at University Campus Suffolk is marking 30 years of being a designer, illustrator and educator with a book release, called Scribble.
Scribble is a chronological account of how a Russell, compelled to make marks and communicate through image making, took this talent and passion forward to cut out a career as an internationally respected designer. The book was written by recently retired UCS senior lecturer Dr Mike Doherty, and was designed in collaboration with UCS alumni the design studio Three&Me.
Fellow designer, Jonathan Barnbrook, who has worked with household names Damien Hirst, David Bowie and Banksy, recounts the time when Russell was his tutor. He said “Russell was the best kind of teacher. He never tells you what he thinks is the right way to make a mark or design – there was no snobbish value or ‘taste’ judgment – instead he shows you that what makes a good designer is someone who cares passionately rather than someone who takes the comfortable route with a project.”
Russell said: “It’s taken five years to design and finally get printed, as a limited edition. It is a book about what design and image making does through the lens of one person’s creative endeavour. If it provides some useful clues to others starting out with similar intentions, perhaps with no rudder, beyond the worthy suggestions of tutors, friends and family then it will not have been a waste of time!”
You may also want to watch:
Scribble is a limited edition of just 200 signed copies at a price of £20.00. To purchase a copy, email Russell Walker at email@example.com
To find out more about the BA (Hons) Graphic Design and BA (Hons) Graphic Design (Graphic Illustration) programmes at University Campus Suffolk visit www.ucs.ac.uk/graphicdesign or register to come along to the open event on Saturday 7 November 10.30am-2.30pm http://www.ucs.ac.uk/events
- 1 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 2 Curve Bar nights out and special events - are you in these photos?
- 3 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 4 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 5 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 9 Inside Ipswich's Blitz-themed tearoom
- 10 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win