Subway re-opening still in the pipeline after devastating fire
- Credit: NATALIE SADLER
The future of a popular Ipswich fast food outlet continues to hang in the balance after a fire ravaged through its interior last year.
Subway in Carr Street was engulfed in flames on September 17, prompting five fire engines and an aerial ladder platform being called to the scene.
But 14 months later, the store is yet to open its doors again - having sported a "this store will be opening in the near future" sign for much of the year.
In June, a company spokesman said a date for re-opening was still unknown.
Sandwich lovers haven't had to travel far since its closure however, with the US-based chain offering nine other outlets in the town. The nearest is just a stone's throw away in Sailmakers Shopping Centre.
You may also want to watch:
And it looks set to remain that way after the chain issued an update when posed the question.
A spokesman for Subway said: "We are working closely with the insurance company to get the store back open as soon as possible, but unfortunately do not have any further information about a reopening date at this time."
- 1 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 2 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 3 Delays expected at A14 Copdock Interchange
- 4 Fire marshals to patrol Waterfront block 24/7 and balconies could be removed
- 5 Burglars crept into Ipswich home while occupant was inside
- 6 'I love it' –shoppers and retailers hope Ipswich street closure is here to stay
- 7 'Knock at the door it's... Sir Keir Starmer?' Labour leader joins Ipswich bingo night
- 8 Man in 40s rescued from beneath the Orwell Bridge
- 9 Rogue trader steals money after offering to repair car
- 10 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road