Busy afternoon for Suffolk firefighters

FIRE crews in the county have had a busy afternoon as the heat has taken hold.At 12.12pm crews from Eye and Stradbroke were called to a straw fire in Rectory Road in Mellis.

FIREFIGHTERS in Ipswich have been kept busy with a series of undergrowth fires across the town.

As temperatures soared yesterday, crews were called to deal with several grass fires including incidents at three of the town's parks.

At 7.37pm two appliances were called to land next to the slip road joining the A14 and A12 near Copdock where cut straw and stubble were on fire.

Two hose reels were used to extinguish the blaze by 8.14pm.

At 7.05pm they were called to land off Broom Crescent, Ipswich, where two hose reels were used to extinguish a grass fire by 7.18pm.

Earlier crews had been busy attending the town's parks.

Most Read

At 5.30pm they were called to a tree fire in Chantry Park. Crew members used buckets to douse the flames and the fire was out by 5.55pm.

Then at around 5.40pm a crew from the Princes Street station were called to around 15 square metres of undergrowth on fire in Holywells Park. This was extinguished within 25 minutes.

The third incident was at the bird reserve in Christchurch Park, close to the Bolton Lane.

Around 15 square metres of undergrowth were alight but were put out in around ten minutes.

Throughout the rest of the day crews were besieged by calls as the hot weather sparked off a series of field fires.

At 12.55pm firefighters from Stowmarket were called to a grass fire in Brettenham Road, Buxhall, which took around 20 minutes to put out, and at 2.18pm, crews from Princes Street in Ipswich were called to an area of grass on fire in Humber Doucy Lane which took around 15 minutes to extinguish.

At 3pm firefighters were called to an area of grass and straw, measuring around 100m by 50m, in East End Lane, East Bergholt.

The fire took around two hours to put out.

In the west of the county crews were called to one and a half acres of loose and baled straw in Hunston Road, Hunston, near Bury St Edmunds at 12.45pm, which took around two hours to put out.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter