Buttermarket’s Empire cinema in Ipswich will not open until February next year
- Credit: Archant
The Buttermarket’s upcoming 12-screen Empire Cinema in Ipswich will not open until February next year according to a recent social media post.
In reply to a customer on Empire Cinema Ipswich’s Facebook page asking when the venue would open its doors, it posted: “Ipswich will be open in Feb.”
Work on the new cinema began in July after Empire signed a deal in November last year to operate the cinema.
It comes as the popular shopping centre receives a £35 million refit which has already seen brands like Pure Gym, Wagamama, Prezzo and Bryon Burger open shop in the new-look facility.
The shopping centre’s TK Maxx and New Look stores previously moved to new units in the Buttermarket to accommodate the cinema.
The plans include 12 screens which will include several smaller screens that could be used for specialist films or second-run showings.
A spokeswoman from the cinema chain said: “Empire Cinemas can confirm that the development of our new 12 screen cinema is progressing well and is due to open early next year, in line with our original plans.
- 1 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 2 Swimming pool at primary school open again after two years
- 3 Plans for flats in former Ipswich pub progress
- 4 Lane on A14 reopens after severe delays on Orwell Bridge
- 5 Baby porpoise washes up at Suffolk beach
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 8 7 walks in Suffolk with a stunning view
- 9 Felixstowe's Wicker family beheaded by vandals
- 10 Critically endangered calf born at Jimmy's Farm near Ipswich
We are looking forward to being able to welcome everyone very soon and for you to experience our fabulous new cinema.”