Cabbies give kids a real outing
CABBIES are putting on their walking shoes in a bid to shine a bit of light into the lives of 40 underprivileged children.This is the second year that drivers from 417 Cabs of Myrtle Road will be giving up a days work to take a group of youngsters on a day trip.
By Jessica Nicholls
CABBIES are putting on their walking shoes in a bid to shine a bit of light into the lives of 40 underprivileged children.
This is the second year that drivers from 417 Cabs of Myrtle Road will be giving up a days work to take a group of youngsters on a day trip.
But before they go, the caring cabbies are doing a sponsored walk from Ipswich to Felixstowe to raise funds in a bid to give the children the best day out possible.
Last year 20 youngsters from the town were treated to a day out at Pleasurewood Hills when the firm was inspired by the black cabs in London who run a similar event.
The event was so successful that in August this year they are doubling the number of children they can take and are planning a day out in Great Yarmouth.
- 1 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 2 Karaoke noise complaints prompts fear Grade II pub could close
- 3 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 4 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 5 Police 'concerned' for missing 15-year-old who was last seen a week ago
- 6 Speed limit on Orwell Bridge reduced as Storm Barra hits region
- 7 Matchday Recap: McGreal's Town beaten at The Valley
- 8 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 9 When will my bins be collected this Christmas?
- 10 Former camera shop Jessops cited for three flats in Ipswich
Fred Day, radio controller at 417 Cabs said: "Last year went really well indeed and we had a fantastic day out.
"The drivers had no question about giving up a days work and we had lots of support."
The firm is working in conjunction with the Salvation Army who can help them find the right children to go on the trip.
So far, seven people are taking part in the sponsored walk between Ipswich and Felixstowe but Mr Day said anyone is welcome to join them.
They will be leaving from the Cornhill on Sunday April 14 at 10.30am and are expecting to arrive at Felixstowe at 2.30pm.
Anyone who would either like to join in or get further information is asked to contact Fred Day on 01473 417417 on Mondays and Wednesdays between 8am and 4pm or on 078028909455.