Former classmates sought for Ipswich school reunion
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
An Ipswich man is seeking contact with students who attended Thurleston High School from 1958 to 1960,
John Turner, 78, is hoping to regain contact with former school friends for a reunion,
He plans for the event to take place at Greshams Sports and Social Club in September.
Thurleston High School opened its doors in 1958.
Mr Turner and his classmates were the first to attend the first ever mixed school in the town. They all previously attended Westbourne High, which still had boys and girls separated.
You may also want to watch:
When asked about his first memory of Thurleston, Mr Turner said: “I remember me and two friends asked to attend cookery classes with the girls, but our headmaster wasn’t best pleased and said ‘I hope you’re not just trying to fraternise with the girls,’ I’m glad he finally gave in. I have loved cooking ever since.”
Mr Turner went on to work in a bakery and join the Merchant Navy.
- 1 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 2 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 5 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 6 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 9 Ipswich woman's drug dealing confiscation hearing adjourned
- 10 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
Classmates are asked to contact John on 01473 652184. Tickets for the event can be obtained from Jenny on 01473 830503 or Maggi on 01473 747848.