Search

Can we help them to rebuild their lives

PUBLISHED: 23:50 05 January 2002 | UPDATED: 11:08 03 March 2010

A GRIEF stricken grandmother has thanked people who have rallied to the family's aid in their hours of need.

Jacinta Fox has also made a desperate plea for help to rebuild their lives.

A GRIEF stricken grandmother has thanked people who have rallied to the family's aid in their hours of need.

Jacinta Fox has also made a desperate plea for help to rebuild their lives.

She said the whole family were touched by the messages of support given to them after her seven-old-grandson, Anton, was killed by fire in his Ipswich home.

"People have been so kind. They have brought flowers and cars and all sorts of things.

"Total strangers have been really marvellous and neighbours have been coming round to say how sorry they are. They have all been so nice and understanding.

"They have given us hugs and kisses. People can't be nice enough."

Mrs Fox said the family were in urgent need of clothes to replace ones lost by the blaze in the schoolboy's home in Marlow Road.

Mrs Fox, who lives in nearby Ulster Avenue, was staying with the family when the fire broke out and tried desperately to save her the life of her grandson, Anton.

The fire destroyed one bedroom and caused serious smoke damage to the rest of the house.

"We really need help," said Mrs Fox. "We are in need clothes, buggies – two little ones, toys, a washing machine and spin dryer, anything people can do to help.

"All the wardrobes were burned in the house.

"The children had a few things at my house from when come to stay but they are still in need of things, for example of socks, vests, underwear and jumpers. We are really short."

She told how Anton's mother, Ester, who is five months pregnant, was so traumatised she is barely to talk about what happened.

Meanwhile Anton's brothers and sisters Joseph, eight, Tamara, five, Brendan, four and Star, two, are staying with their grandmother where they are coming to terms with the tragedy.

Joseph is thought to be the most devastated out of all of them as he tried to wake his brother.

The blaze is believed to have been cause by an electric fire – described by the fire service as a two bar radiant type heater – bought into the bedroom to keep the youngster warm on a bitterly cold night.

The metal-framed house had been updated more than ten years ago, but did not have central heating.

Mrs Fox had earlier told that if the smoke alarm – which was at the top of the stairs – had have had new batteries, it could have saved the boy's life.

"It was a terrible thing to forget to do. We forgot the most important thing what we should have got."

Today flowers, a teddy bear and a sympathy card were left outside the home of where the tragedy took place.

The card, addressed to mum, dad and the family, said: "Little Boy. See you on the bus in the morning going to school with your dad and little sister and brother singing the same old song over and over again with a little smile on your face. Rest in peace little one."

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists