Cancer survivor Emmerson fights back

It's just four months since Emmerson Thaine was told he would survive beyond Christmas.

IPSWICH: It's just four months since Emmerson Thaine was told he would survive beyond Christmas.

Last December doctors gave him just a year to live but now he's in remission following an intensive programme of chemotherapy treatment lasting around five months.

Mr Thaine, who grew up in Ipswich but now lives and works in London, felt indebted to the cancer ward staff at Heath Road Hospital for the treatment he received for Hodgkin's Lymphoma and decide to walk the breadth of England with a couple of colleagues.

The 31-year-old procurement manger was joined by Stephen Taylor and Dave Pratt, from his London office, in walking from one end of the country to the other, taking in Hadrian's Wall and raising around �2000 for the cancer ward along the way.

Mr Thaine's cancer was in its late stages and if left untreated he could only expect to live for around 12 months.

He was 30 at the time and admits being very surprised to be diagnosed with the illness but he was diagnosed quickly and soon began treatment. “Most people couldn't believe it based on my age and level of fitness,” he said. “I was a regular runner and completed a half marathon and events like the three peaks challenge in July of last year!

Most Read

“The treatment was an incredibly hard thing to go through, but it worked in my case and I'm extremely grateful for the help and care I received.”

Mr Thaine organised the four-day walk from the West to the East coast of England as a way of thanking the people who helped him through his time living with cancer.

“I'm glad I was able to do it for myself and to raise money for the cancer ward,” he said. “The cancer was in its late stages so it's testament to the treatment that I am in remission today.

“The thought never crossed my mind that I might not complete the walk.”

Mr Thaine now plans to take the money he received and invest in some furniture or equipment for the cancer ward at Ipswich Hospital.