Cannabis leads man to court
AN IPSWICH man arrested for being drunk and disorderly was found in possession of a small amount of cannabis resin at a police station, a court heard.South East Suffolk magistrates heard Scott Bennett was given the drug from a friend earlier that day.
AN IPSWICH man arrested for being drunk and disorderly was found in possession of a small amount of cannabis resin at a police station, a court heard.
South East Suffolk magistrates heard Scott Bennett was given the drug from a friend earlier that day. He was found carrying it after he was arrested for the unrelated offence.
The 28-year-old roofer first claimed he found the cannabis on the floor of the custody suite at the police station "but it wasn't the case," said Anita Addison, prosecuting.
Nikki Miller, mitigating, told the court Bennett was "heavily under the influence of alcohol and there was some misapprehension about how he came into possession of the cannabis.
She added: "It was nothing more than a spliff full which was given to him earlier that day. He had been out drinking and his friend asked him would he like this."
In sentencing bench chairwoman, Sue Humphrey, said: "This was a very small amount of cannabis which you may have forgotten was even in your possession."
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
- 6 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 7 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 8 Online shoppers head to Ipswich for big brands like Primark
- 9 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 10 Ipswich man charged with string of motoring offences
Bennett of Ulster Avenue, Ipswich, was fined £25 after he pleaded guilty to being in possession of the resin.