Cannabis plants found in fire-hit home
FIREFIGHTERS and police who were called to a blaze at an Ipswich home uncovered what is believed to be a cannabis factory, it emerged today. Crews were dispatched as flames ripped through the end-terrace house in Bramford Road.
FIREFIGHTERS and police who were called to a blaze at an Ipswich home uncovered what is believed to be a cannabis factory, it emerged today.
Crews were dispatched as flames ripped through the end-terrace house in Bramford Road.
But after the fire was brought under control, an investigation was launched after the alleged discovery of up to 40 cannabis plants.
Flames took hold in the ground floor of the property at around 2.50pm on March 12.
Nobody was inside the house at the time of the incident, although firefighters discovered a Jack Russell dog in the kitchen which had died as a result of the blaze.
- 1 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 2 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 3 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 4 Company fined £12,000 for repeatedly failing to clear Ipswich flat's waste
- 5 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 6 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 7 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 8 Food review: ‘The Botanist in Ipswich lives up to the hype’
- 9 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 10 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
Leading firefighter Tony Bickers said: “It was quite a severe fire and it destroyed the lounge.”
The alarm was raised by a passer-by who spotted smoke coming from an upstairs window. The flames were brought under control by 3.20pm.
Neighbour Alison Vince said she had not noticed the fire until crews arrived.
“I heard some banging and thought it was him (the house's occupant) but it must have been the fire.
“The firefighters had to break the door down to get in.”
A 62-year-old man was arrested at the scene and was interviewed at Ipswich police station.
Victor King, of Bramford Road, was subsequently charged with producing cannabis.
He has been bailed to appear at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court at 9.30am on Wednesday.