Cannabis plants found in fire-hit home
FIREFIGHTERS and police who were called to a blaze at an Ipswich home uncovered what is believed to be a cannabis factory, it emerged today. Crews were dispatched as flames ripped through the end-terrace house in Bramford Road.
FIREFIGHTERS and police who were called to a blaze at an Ipswich home uncovered what is believed to be a cannabis factory, it emerged today.
Crews were dispatched as flames ripped through the end-terrace house in Bramford Road.
But after the fire was brought under control, an investigation was launched after the alleged discovery of up to 40 cannabis plants.
You may also want to watch:
Flames took hold in the ground floor of the property at around 2.50pm on March 12.
Nobody was inside the house at the time of the incident, although firefighters discovered a Jack Russell dog in the kitchen which had died as a result of the blaze.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 5 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 9 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 10 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
Leading firefighter Tony Bickers said: “It was quite a severe fire and it destroyed the lounge.”
The alarm was raised by a passer-by who spotted smoke coming from an upstairs window. The flames were brought under control by 3.20pm.
Neighbour Alison Vince said she had not noticed the fire until crews arrived.
“I heard some banging and thought it was him (the house's occupant) but it must have been the fire.
“The firefighters had to break the door down to get in.”
A 62-year-old man was arrested at the scene and was interviewed at Ipswich police station.
Victor King, of Bramford Road, was subsequently charged with producing cannabis.
He has been bailed to appear at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court at 9.30am on Wednesday.