Capel St Mary: Police swoop in mystery ‘ongoing operation’
POLICE remained tight-lipped early today after the peace of a summer Sunday was disturbed by a high-profile police operation.
Up to six police vehicles were seen speeding towards a rural area between Capel St Mary and Great Wenham – and were then joined by the Suffolk Constabulary helicopter that started circling the area.
Police were on the scene for about 40 minutes last night – but were able to give few details about the nature of the operation.
A police spokeswoman said: “Officers have been in the Capel area this evening as part of an ongoing operation and have now returned to stations.
“For operational reasons we are unable to disclose any further details, but we can reassure local people that there was no threat to public safety during this evening’s activity.”
On Saturday, Capel, normally a peaceful haven just off the A12, was the scene of a major robbery investigation.
The Evening Star understands a woman had an amount of cash stolen from her and a hunt for two youths got under way.
- 1 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Man who attacked partner after she travelled 10 hours to see him is jailed
- 4 Neighbours raised alarm after man not seen for several days
- 5 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 6 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 7 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 8 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
Sunday’s police activity was focused away from the heart of the village of – the main sign of activity was the sight of police cars parked near the A12 between the village and the Four Sisters junction for Hadleigh and East Bergholt.
Members of the public called the Evening Star newsdesk about the rapid arrival of a number of police vehicles at about 8pm, but the last vehicles had left the area by 8.45pm.
- Did you see anything of the police activity in the Capel/Wenham area last night? Call the Evening Star newsdesk on 01473-324790 or e-mail email@example.com