Capel St Mary: Police swoop in mystery ‘ongoing operation’
POLICE remained tight-lipped early today after the peace of a summer Sunday was disturbed by a high-profile police operation.
Up to six police vehicles were seen speeding towards a rural area between Capel St Mary and Great Wenham – and were then joined by the Suffolk Constabulary helicopter that started circling the area.
Police were on the scene for about 40 minutes last night – but were able to give few details about the nature of the operation.
A police spokeswoman said: “Officers have been in the Capel area this evening as part of an ongoing operation and have now returned to stations.
“For operational reasons we are unable to disclose any further details, but we can reassure local people that there was no threat to public safety during this evening’s activity.”
You may also want to watch:
On Saturday, Capel, normally a peaceful haven just off the A12, was the scene of a major robbery investigation.
The Evening Star understands a woman had an amount of cash stolen from her and a hunt for two youths got under way.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 6 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 9 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 10 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
Sunday’s police activity was focused away from the heart of the village of – the main sign of activity was the sight of police cars parked near the A12 between the village and the Four Sisters junction for Hadleigh and East Bergholt.
Members of the public called the Evening Star newsdesk about the rapid arrival of a number of police vehicles at about 8pm, but the last vehicles had left the area by 8.45pm.
- Did you see anything of the police activity in the Capel/Wenham area last night? Call the Evening Star newsdesk on 01473-324790 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org