Search

Caring firefighters save cat

PUBLISHED: 15:33 19 March 2002 | UPDATED: 11:35 03 March 2010

CARING firefighters gave oxygen to a choking pet cat after it was trapped in a ferocious house fire in Suffolk.

Retained fire fighters from Saxmundham and Woodbridge attended the blaze at Hockett Crescent, Tunstall.

CARING firefighters gave oxygen to a choking pet cat after it was trapped in a ferocious house fire in Suffolk.

Retained fire fighters from Saxmundham and Woodbridge attended the blaze at Hockett Crescent, Tunstall.

The fire started in the living room of the terraced property at 4pm yesterday.

Sub officer Phillip Tricker admitted today it was the first time in 30 years service that he had treated a cat at the scene of a blaze.

"When we got there the young lady said her cat was still in there so a couple of guys went in with breathing apparatus, found it and brought it out,

"We got the oxygen out, put the mask on it and was later taken to the vet," said Mr Tricker.

Today the end-terraced property was deserted, the living room window was boarded up and piles of scorched furniture and household items littered the garden.

A television set and three-piece suite melted virtually beyond recognition, testament to the ferocious blaze that ripped through the house.

A neighbour described seeing thick black smoke pouring from the roof. The lady, who did not wish to be named, said: "The couple were there, I saw them running around.

"It's bad, but as long as nobody was hurt. The poor cat was choked by the smoke."


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star