Caring firefighters save cat
CARING firefighters gave oxygen to a choking pet cat after it was trapped in a ferocious house fire in Suffolk.Retained fire fighters from Saxmundham and Woodbridge attended the blaze at Hockett Crescent, Tunstall.
CARING firefighters gave oxygen to a choking pet cat after it was trapped in a ferocious house fire in Suffolk.
Retained fire fighters from Saxmundham and Woodbridge attended the blaze at Hockett Crescent, Tunstall.
The fire started in the living room of the terraced property at 4pm yesterday.
Sub officer Phillip Tricker admitted today it was the first time in 30 years service that he had treated a cat at the scene of a blaze.
"When we got there the young lady said her cat was still in there so a couple of guys went in with breathing apparatus, found it and brought it out,
"We got the oxygen out, put the mask on it and was later taken to the vet," said Mr Tricker.
- 1 Road near Ipswich town centre closed after crash involving motorcyclist
- 2 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 3 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 4 When will bins be collected in Ipswich this Bank Holiday weekend?
- 5 'Fresh and timeless' Greek cuisine comes to Ipswich
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 8 See inside Ipswich home with stunning views of the town from own turret
- 9 Driver caught doing 64mph in 40mph section of A12
- 10 'I am so excited': New store owner on his dream come true
Today the end-terraced property was deserted, the living room window was boarded up and piles of scorched furniture and household items littered the garden.
A television set and three-piece suite melted virtually beyond recognition, testament to the ferocious blaze that ripped through the house.
A neighbour described seeing thick black smoke pouring from the roof. The lady, who did not wish to be named, said: "The couple were there, I saw them running around.
"It's bad, but as long as nobody was hurt. The poor cat was choked by the smoke."