Carnival brightens the town
VIDEO Giant peacocks and dozens of butterflies have descended on Ipswich for a celebratory carnival.The Ipswich Community Carnival was held in the town's Christchurch Park yesterday and hundreds of people turned up to enjoy the feel-good atmosphere and take part in the colourful parade with many people dressed up as bright birds.
GIANT peacocks and dozens of butterflies have descended on Ipswich for a celebratory carnival.
The Ipswich Community Carnival was held in the town's Christchurch Park yesterday and hundreds of people turned up to enjoy the feel-good atmosphere and take part in the colourful parade with many people dressed up as bright birds.
There were bands from a variety of backgrounds including drumming from West Africa, face-painting, jugglers, and food from around the world.
Blue King, the event's organiser, said: “We had an amazing number of people turn out considering the weather and it was a fantastic day.
“The parade looked stunning and everybody put so much effort into it.
“The atmosphere has been really hot, lots of smiling faces, lots of dancing, and everyone got a lot out of being there.”
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 6 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
- 7 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 8 'I can’t explain how much it hurt' - mum who lost two children leads bereavement service
- 9 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 10 Kesgrave GP bookings start online after making appointments proves hard
Ms King paid tribute to the volunteers who made the annual event a success, and the people who set up community stalls in the park. She also thanked Suffolk Passenger Transport and Explore which funded the event.
She added: “All the bands have been amazing. These are community bands and they show just how much talent there is in the town.
“It has been a day for bringing people together.”
Did you enjoy the carnival? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com.